Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday ramblings

My response to a question asked of me last week.
The zen zone of parenting.
Flirting with stay-at-home parenting.
Visiting with the in-laws – how much time together is too much time together?
Commercials before Sesame Street.

All posts that are either half-written or floating around in the noggin. However, having been totally sidetracked and sideswiped for the last couple of days (more on that later), I have only some miscellaneous rambling to offer today. Hopefully, I’ll have better posting on offer tomorrow.

* * *

Taken down.


Prior to the birth of the Peanut I got migraines - bad, terrible, horrific migraines that I've been prone to since I was a kid. As long as I can remember, I've had headaches. I was that eight-year-old kid, tucked away in the house with a headache. Gah.

One of my biggest fears when I had the Peanut was what I would do if I was struck with one of these and had no one to call. Mr Babbler works at a job that doesn't always leave him accessible or able to run home right away. My in-laws live nearly two hours away. I don't have any family to call on, my friends all work, and I don't really know my neighbours. So far, since I've had the Peanut I've had only a couple, and have mostly been able to manage. Yesterday? Well, yesterday was an entirely different story.

We muddled through the morning. By the afternoon, I was well into the medication. I attempted to sleep during her afternoon nap, and thought I had kicked it or at least brought it under control, but oh, I was so very wrong. The Peanut woke up from her nap, and I knew I was screwed. Nausea, vomiting, and dizziness - they hit me like a tonne of bricks. I knew I was completely unable to care for her. Mr Babbler? Well, he wasn't going to make it home for at least two hours.

Fortunately, my brother-in-law was able to come over and help. He has never babysat before, and is still really learning what to do with the Peanut. The Peanut, in turn, is just really starting to get to know him. He did a fantastic job, considering everything, and I was lucky this time. One bottle, several biscuits, and lots of play time with blocks together and I trashed the "TV only while mommy prepares dinner” and broke out the in-case-of-dire-emergency-PVRd-children's-shoes. Three episodes of Boohbah, one episode of Sesame Street and half an episode of Teletubbies later and Mr Babbler made it home just in time for dinner.

These are the times that really scare me. What if brother-in-law had been unavailable? What if Mr Babbler had been on a business trip? I was barely able to drag myself upstairs to the bathroom or change the PVR to a different episode of Boohbah, let alone make her dinner, play with her, or care for her in anyway.

We made it through this time again. Once again I was fairly fortunate. But I feel a little like those living on the fault line in California - you know it's only a matter of time.

* * *

The Peanut and the Shoe.

On a happier note:


I'm all for the concept of children eating a pound of dirt in their first couple of years. Kids are meant to get dirty. I can't even begin to guess how much cat and dog hair that the Peanut has already consumed in her first ten months. That said, the Peanut has decided that this is worth moving mountains (or, at least, her tiny little self) all the way across the house for:


She doesn't crawl yet, so she laboriously moves her body by inching across the floor, and will travel one length of the living room to the other if she so much as spots the shoe. She has been known to even try to gnaw on it while still on my foot. While I find this more amusing that I probably should, I did decide to do something about it. Thankfully, I've recently purchased this:

The object of the Peanut's adoration.

All natural rubber - check. Phthalate-free - check. All natural vegetable dyes - check. Same consistency as a Croc, with none of the bad parenting guilt - check!

* * *

Characters, characters and more characters.


The other day I thought I’d indulge in a little trashy reading. Imagine my consternation upon starting the book only to find that it has a character list 16 pages long! With an average of ten characters per page, that’s well over 100 characters to keep straight. Yikes!

When I want to read something frothy and light it should be just that – light. 160 characters does not constitute light reading by any stretch of the imagination (neither, I guess, does the 1,110 pages brick of a book either. I was willing to forgive this, though, if the story was a quick and enticing read. Then again, this is the book that, upon closer inspection, has eight pages of acknowledgments. There are enough names buried in that section alone that I might even find my own!)

Methinks that perhaps Ms Cooper’s editor was on holiday?

In the interim, I've moved along to the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. One book in and I’m utterly enthralled. A brilliant piece of writing, although definitely not for young children.

7 comments:

nomotherearth said...

Hey, I just bought that giraffe for Baby #2! I hope s/he likes it. And, I loved the Pullman series.

danigirl said...

I feel for you on the migraines. I used to get them like that, horribly debillitating, but they've been abating in severity as I get older. Go figure! Anyway, I'm glad you had someone to back you up.

kgirl said...

I totally want to get the giraffe for the new babe, but maybe I should give it to Bee - she regularly takes off her crocs in the car to chew on them. Ew.

Haley-O said...

My sis SWEARS BY that giraffe. It's supposed to be the hottest thing. I soo want one for my new baby....

Sorry about the HORRIBLE HEADACHE. I'm nauseous just thinking about it! Poor you! I had the exact same problem in the first 5 months of this pregnancy. I was SO morning sick, but I still had to take care of the little monkey. Sometimes, she'd be holding onto my legs when I was vomiting, and I'd be like "hi hon! having fun! hee hee hee?"

It was brutal. I hope your headaches leave you alone from now on. if not, you can always put the TV on or something for the little one until help comes....

Jennifer said...

Commercials before Sesame Street. I remember when I was concerned about that. Now I see the folly of my ways. The girls are now wanting to watch Bindi the Jungle Girl and other shows on commercial television. Do you care to know how many tantrums I've had to ride out because 4 and 2 year olds think that everything on tv can be fast forwarded?

I'm really sorry to hear about your migrains. That is rather disconcerting. One word of encouragement that Peanut is going to be fine. My mother, while pregnant with my youngest sister, passed out for almost an entire afternoon (apparently as a result of gestational diabetes). This left my then three month old sister all by herself for all practical purposes. The last thing my mother remembers prior to waking up was telling M it was time for her post-lunch nap. She woke up not too long before I got home from school at 3:15. When she did wake up, M had collected some toys around her and was playing quietly. This isn't the same thing as having a migraine, but I just wanted to illustrate that our children are much more resilient than we give them credit for. Granted, Peanut is not even close to 3 yet. But if she had to sit in her car seat or bouncy for an hour or two while you took care of yourself, she would be fine.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

I had migraines during my second pregancy, and like the genius that I am with birth control, I had an infant only several months old already. Trying to take care of him with the migraines sucked!

I finally called a neurologist friend of mine who put me on a course of steroids (forgot which one) where you take 5 the first day, the 4, etc. It worked magic! My high-risk OB said he had no idea that was an option.

Food for thought :) Hope you feel better!

cinnamon gurl said...

Your migraines sound like hell.

And Wicked! was disappointing... I finished it, I think, or nearly finished it. Have you read her earlier stuff like Riders, Rivals and Polo? Those are the good ones.

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness