Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Oh, the difference a week two weeks makes

Because the days seem to have slipped by this week (but also because I've been stuck in a state of bloggy-inertia for the last week - too much to say, too little time, posts bouncing around in my head) this has been ready and sitting in my drafts folder for six days.

The Peanut is nearly 11 months old (but only nine months adjusted). For us, that has meant waiting a bit longer than most for some milestones. However, it seems that in the past week two weeks, she decided to get busy, blow the infant popsicle stand if you will and transform into an (almost) full blown toddler.

To wit:

1) She claps her hands.
2) She cut her first tooth two teeth.
3) She sits up on her own.
4) She crawls.
5) She pulls herself up to standing using any available object.
6) She cruises using furniture.
7) She sits reading her own books, the right side up.
8) Shes tries new food after new food, loving everything.

and also?

9) She got hold of one of my books for the first time and starting gleefully ripping out pages (okay, I got there after one page, but still!)
10) She threw her first belly-and-fists-to-the-floor temper tantrum.

Yeah, little things really. Did I mention the crawling? And the standing? And the nearly walking?

And the fact that I'm feeling just a little bit overwhelmed by these rather sudden changes?

Oh, but I'm just getting started!

Needless to say, the house isn't really baby-proofed as of yet, so I'm constantly running after her, pulling electrical cords out of her mouth, rescuing my books from her destructive little paws and saving the poor, unsuspecting dog and cat.

But, this has also brought some fantastic benefits. First, she is much less frustrated. It's like her wee body has finally caught up to everything that her mind has been silently plotting for the last several months. And the fun? She's become a mischievous little monkey, dragging herself madly across the floor and tearing into the bin of cables as soon as my back is turned, hoisting them above her head like a prizefighter with her trophy. Working her way along the sofa when I'm making her lunch, and then quietly grabbing my wallet, yanking out bank cards (with her back turned to me of course, so I can't see), then giggling maniacally when I catch her. Oh, and the giggling. The wonderful, sweet giggle, so easy to charm out of her now.

Not so big, though, that I don't crawl out of my own pants!

Having waited a little longer than average to meet some milestones, these moments have been that much more special. I'm constantly amazed when I see the Peanut do or try something new. Watching her balance on her knees, tiny feet tucked under her bum to play with toy? Precious. Watching as she tastes a new food, realizing that she likes it, and then opening her mouth wide like a wee bird? Adorable. Seeing her grab a pile of books and then sit quietly, "reading" them?

Warming the cockles of her book-loving mama's heart.

I can't wait to see what she does next, and despite some of my reservations about leaving the workforce, I'm so glad I'm going to be here to experience every moment of it.

Not quite a baby, not quite a toddler.

19 comments:

Jennifer said...

How sweet! And how much fun for you to be there to see it all. I loved this age.

Aliki2006 said...

She looks like she's just so ready to take the world by storm!

Great pics--and a wonderful age, to be sure.

Roz said...

She is just beautiful! You are so fortunate to have such a sweet and happy child!

Naomi (Urban Mummy) said...

Yay!! She's just a bit younger then my son, so I can relate to the milestones. He's doing all the same things, and it's fabulous.

Not walking yet.

Enjoy her! So precious!!

DaniGirl said...

Oh, what a sweetie she is! Those milestones seem so far away already, and my youngest is barely three and a half - time goes so fast!

my minivan is faster than yours said...

She is a CUTIE PIE! Crusher's almost three and it's been so long since I've thought about "adjusted age." Never thought I'd go five minutes without thinking about it. Thank goodness for catch-up!

Kristen said...

So sweet! Isn't it amazing how they blossom in bits and spurts. Babyhood is just such a whirlwind.

bubandpie said...

Yup. People with really easy babies groan about how much harder it gets when they become mobile. So not the case for any babies of mine, who came out of the womb craving entertainment. At least once they were crawling there was some possibility of self-serve.

cinnamon gurl said...

She's gorgeous!! And that IS a fun age...

Oh, The Joys said...

She is too cute!

nomotherearth said...

Yup, I remember loving that age too. What a cutie you have!

slouching mom said...

She's lovely!

So...she's a boddler. Or a toby.

Beck said...

She is so beautiful - and it's CRAZY how fast they suddenly start getting INTO things, isn't it? Three kids later and I'm still never prepared!

b*babbler said...

Oh, a boddler. I have to remember that!

sandra said...

She is hopelessly cute! I so miss that stage. Glad you are enjoying it so :)

P.S. Thanks so much for all your kindness and support over at my place xoxo

pinks & blues girls said...

She is just a total doll!

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Jozet said...

She's gorgeous!

I love the photo of her reading. It always makes me wonder what's going onin their wee heads whenever they look through books. I can hear the brin cells humming.

ewe are here said...

Oooh, I'm so glad I kept reading on my quest to catch up on the blogs...

She's just lovely! So very lovely.

They're so amazing, no?

Oh, The Joys said...

She is so cute!

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness