Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Books books more books memes

I borrowed stole this from doppelganger of 50 books (because really, with my weekend birthday party post, my crossroads redux post, my interview post from Aliki [haven't forgotten about it, really!] and my significant other meme post, why wouldn't I start another post instead of finishing those first?)

1. Total number of books I own.

I have to hang my head in shame, as I own over 2,000 books. Seriously. It makes me look I have money to burn, but please note that I have worked at two different publishers and have been lucky enough to get ridiculous discounts (books for $1? How can I possibly say no?) It's one of the things I'm going to miss the most about not returning to work. Oh, that lovely lovely perk.

I've tried to pare down. I do go to the library. It's the one place where I know I know I overconsume and am greedy, but I just can't help myself. I'm an addict. I need my fix on a regular basis.

2. Last book I read.
The last book I finished was The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer (sent to me by the lovely ragdoll of My Tragic Right Hip). I have a review coming on this, as I really enjoyed this book. However, I have A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka, Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank, and The Emperor's Children by Claire Messaud all in the end stages.

3. Last book I bought.
It was a shopping trip, so I can't cop to a single book. The Keep by Jennifer Egan, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini and Giving by Bill Clinton (for Mr Babbler). Ooh, do you see why I have a problem?

4. Five meaningful books.
Wow, five meaningful books. Where to start? Perhaps I'll wander down memory lane.

1) Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.



(Really, the whole series, but it specified a single book) My all-time favorite book from childhood (and well into adulthood), it made me believe that perhaps there was a good family out there for everyone.

2) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.



So clichéd but with smart women, witty dialogue, love in the end what's not to love? I remember reading this as a pre-teen, feeling all grown up, then again as a teenager when I got a little more out of it, then finally as an adult where it all made sense.

3) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang adapted by Al Perkins.



This was the book when I was a child, the book that I had read to me over and over and over (and over) again until I knew it backwards and forwards. Now if only I can find a copy of it for less than $70 used.

4) Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.



Why is this so significant? Because it is the book that I've owned for more than ten years. I've dragged it around to vacations, plane rides, train rides and weekends away and still have never managed to read it. Sadly, because I love historical fiction, I love Arthurian legend, I love the cover and I love a good thick book, and yet I've never managed to get into it. Strange.

5) The Historian by Elizabeth Kotsova.



Another unfinished book. This one is significant as it is the book I lugged around in the last few days of my pregnancy. I had it with me the day my water broke. I read it at 3 am while on bedrest and unable to sleep in the hospital, having been awoken again by the nurses. It is the book that I never returned to, the bookmark firmly in place from mere hours before Peanut was born. I'm not sure I'll ever finish it. Maybe when she leaves for college?

Time to tag! I'd love to get a glimpse of BubandPie's, kittenpie's, metro mama's, HerBadMother's and Aliki's recent reading. Anyone else want to play along? You guys out there doing the NaBloPoMo thing - feel free to grab it and run. Leave me a link in the comments so I can stop by!

12 comments:

flutter said...

I feel like I know you so much better

Lisa b said...

I see no shame in owning so many books (other than my guilt over the trees). When I was a kid we only got library books and I do my part now to support the publishing industry. I read an article by a writer once who commented how annoyed she got when people with lots of money would tell her they had her book on hold at the library. I think you have to balance both.
In need to read One Hundred Years of Solitude. I'll be interested to see what you think of The Kite Runner we read it for my book club last year and it was one of my first blog posts. This year we are reading One Thousand Splendid Suns and I think it will be better.

Beck said...

I have never, ever read the Mists of Avalon. I'm just not a fantasy fan, I guess...

bubandpie said...

I did this meme awhile back, actually. Good choices - it always gives me a little thrill to see that cover of AoGG.

painted maypole said...

i just read chitty chitty bang bang this summer and thouroughly enjoyed it.

books for $1. wow. that is a great perk!

Aliki2006 said...

I love the Mists of Avalon, too!! And Arthurian legends...

Thanks for the tag--I'll try and come up with a decent list!

slouching mom said...

Oh, yes on P&P. And the Kostova book -- if it isn't too tied into the uncomfortable quality of those last days of pregnancy, you should finish it. Really.

I'm reading Sue Miller's Lost in the Forest and really enjoying it. I started it at the beach.

crazymumma said...

oh my goodness....I was sure I had you in my bloglines....what the? Cause if it ain't there, just like the many lists I carry around in my pockets I simply will not remember. So sorry...you are now firmly esconsed in my bloglines. Went back a few posts, reltionships are hard. Our hardest times were when our girls were very little. It takes a lot of strength. I hope I am reading that post correctly...

and Xmas music. Yes. Time to get a gun and blow out all the speakers in the malls.

And books? I just finished book 3 of Harry Potter and bigirl just finsihed the last one!

Don Mills Diva said...

Those sound like great books though I've only read 2. I book I read a few months ago and LOVED was Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - just incredible.

Megan said...

Are you up for another meme? I've tagged you for the random-weirdness one.

Denguy said...

Whoa, you's quite bookly.

(It's possible our paths have crossed IRL. I live in T.O. and have worked in publishing for ages.)

Baby 'Zilla's Mom said...

Love the list, funny your favourites and mine are the same, and I cannot seem to finish the Mists of Avalon either. I'm rereading The Time Traveler's Wife (again)and the Golden Compasss.

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness