Thursday, November 8, 2007

Mouth already open - so simple, really, to insert foot

Today I went to the dentist. Specifically I was visiting the hygienist for a scaling.

Incidentally, is there any worse word in the English language than scaling? Couldn't they find a better, less fear inducing word than scaling? But I digress...

I've recently begun visiting this dentist, and this was my first meeting with this particular hygienist. We traded the usual pleasantries, and she told me that she loves to chat with her patients. I set my iPod aside and in between scrape scrape scrape we talked about jobs (mine) claustrophobia (hers) and the bearing of children. A few moments later, this conversation:

"Do your in-laws come here?" she says. "I'm not really good with names anymore. But, being a hygienist, as soon as I see a smile I can remember someone instantly."

I start snickering. Loudly.

"Oh," I said, thinking of our earlier discussion and now laughing uncontrollably, "my poor obstetrician."

There was a pause, and then from the hallway came gales of laughter from someone overhearing our conversation, my hygienist joining in shortly thereafter.

Yes, I'll bet you won't forget my name now. I'll be the one with the endless supply of dirty and inappropriate comments.

10 comments:

flutter said...

Oh too funny!!

Suzanne said...

I bet you'll become a favorite patient now!

Sober Briquette said...

I'm sure you made their day.

Mine, too. Keep smiling.

kittenpie said...

ha! Good one.

Aliki2006 said...

There's nothing like laughter in a dentist's office!

Beck said...

Having a great hygenist REALLY helps with going to the dentist.

painted maypole said...

heh heh

oh... I am so overdue at the dentist. maybe I'll call next week to schedule that appt...

Mac and Cheese said...

I knew there was something that I liked about you.

Julie Pippert said...

ROFLOL!!!!

Julie
Using My Words

Magpie said...

Hah! Beautiful. Glad they appreciated it, too.

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness