* * *
I've decided to take part in a reading challenge for 2008. As I've mentioned before, I buy books. A lot of books. Although I may purchase these books, it doesn't necessarily mean I get around to reading every book on my shelf. Things come up, life intervenes, some other more interesting book comes along, or sometimes I just don't feel like reading what I have lined up. As a result I have a number of books that have languished for years and years, being dragged off the shelf, taken on countless vacations, stuffed in purses and backpacks, re-shelved, and then pulled out to start the cycle all over again, and yet somehow they still don't get read.
To help clear this backlog, I've decided to join the To Be Read Challenge 2008. the premise is simple - you pick 12 books (and up to 12 alternates) that have been on your "to be read" list for more than six months. Starting on January 1, 2008 you can begin reading any of the titles on your list, in any order. The goal is to read 12 titles in total and clear them from your "to-be-read pile".
With a drum roll and some fanfare, and in no particular order, here is my list:
1) The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
2) Sisters in the Wilderness - Charlotte Gray
3) The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
4) Bitch - Elizabeth Wurtzel
5) 100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
6) Tipping the Velvet - Sarah Waters
7) Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder
8) Possession - A. S. Byatt
9) Watership Down - Richard Adams
10) The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
11) Niccolo Rising - Dorothy Dunnett
12) Ahab's Wife - Sena Jeter Naslund
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I Am Charlotte Simmons - Tom Wolfe
The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
So those are my titles. Anyone want to play along?