Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vignettes

Lately Peanut has been fascinated by my hair. She tugs at it, trying to pull it out of its ponytail, so I submit to her prodding and pull the elastic out. She stands beside me, with the gentlest of touches running her fingers through my hair, attempting in her own way to tuck strands behind my ear.

* * *

Peanut has learned how to climb on the sofa, a skill she proudly puts to use every few minutes. Out of nowhere, she climbs up on the sofa and instead of jumping up and down on the cushions and launching herself around, she tucks her body under my arm, leaning against me. We sit companionably for several minutes (an eternity in the lifetime of a toddler), watching the teen whiz-kids vie for top spot on Jeopardy.

* * *

I say to Peanut touch fingers, and she puts out her index finger for me to press my index finger against. I tell her that all my love is passing from me to her.

She watches me, intent on my words. And then she smiles the biggest, sweetest baby smile and giggles madly before throwing herself into my arms for a cuddle.

12 comments:

Lisa b said...

Oh so cute! Especially that last one.

I don't mind my hair being played with but my girl seems to always have to pull my hair or - this week -crush it into her dolly curlers. ouch.

Mouse said...

I love how they can tuck themselves under an arm. Just a few moments and I can feel the stress flowing away.

flutter said...

That is so darling

Naomi (Urban Mummy) said...

My big one climbs on the couch and dives behind the cushions. My little one? Follows right behind, and, while he still cannot get up, he's working on it. No tucking under the arm, there. Boys!

Mac and Cheese said...

Blogging is such a good way to make sure we don't forget such beautiful moments.

caramama said...

Beautiful moments like those are the best part of parenthood, IMO.

My little also is fascinated by my hair. She's pretty gentle with it (we've been working on it) and loves to tangle it.

Haley-O said...

The rascal LOVES my hair. pulls it SO HARD I have to pry open his wee hands to get FREE!

crazymumma said...

They slay one with love. I miss the toddle years.

Kellan said...

Such sweet moments - what a precious little darling!

I was so pleased to see you this evening - I've missed you. Hope we see lots more of each other - I'd like that.

Have a good weekend - Kellan

ewe are here said...

Awwww.... my Baby Boo likes to do the index finger touching game, too... But I like your 'love passing' addition. :-)

Aliki2006 said...

My kids have always been fascinated with hair!

I always loved moments when my kids first started to insert themselves into my world in such gentle, inquisitive ways.

kittenpie said...

I love those little moments. It's nice to tuck them away like this, isn't it?

And? So good to meet you last night!

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness