Thursday, March 5, 2009

A little like the phoenix...

Ok, perhaps nothing so majestic as a phoenix. More like a, well, I don't know what its like. That's where the metaphor runs dry. However, it's been six months since Peanut started pre-school, and yet today is the first day I've found myself engaged in that most ubiquitous of blogger behaviour...

Blogging in the local coffee shop.

It's quite a nice feeling actually, sitting here with a piping hot tea listening to some good music. It helps that we recently purchased this little gem:

Don't get me wrong - I love my Macbook, but this thing fits inside my diaper bag.

Yes, that's fine - but where have you BEEN?

Ahem - the big white elephant in the room. A good friend of mine would say the problem is that I tend to overthink before I write, thus overwhelming myself (indeed, most of her missives to me contain the phrase "just write something and post it - don't overthink it"). There's a lot of truth in that. I've found that when I sit down to write, I need to tinker and perfect it. Since I've been under a certain amount of time constraints lately, the thought of writing with its attendant process of editing and re-writing simply became overwhelming.

The simple fact is that blogging is like any other exercise - it requires a certain amount of practice. Since I've written here very little over the last year, I've simply fallen out of the practice of preparing my thoughts for this forum (although I seem to be able to compose long essays in my head at night when I am unable to sleep. However, translating those to print seems to be where I run into problems). The more time that passed, the more difficult it seemed to be to wander back over to this little space.

That's not to say that there hasn't been a plethora of blog-worthy events over the past year - far from it. On more than one occasion I've turned to Mr Babbler or a friend or even another blogging buddy and said "that's definitely blog-worthy". Evidence? The story of the cat's $1,700 ass. Or how about the wedding that I attended during this past summer where I turned to Mr Babbler and said that I wished I had an iphone so that I could live blog it (there was between-course entertainment pieces that included interpretive dance and a groom that missed his own first dance). There have been so many moments of Peanuts life that I wish I had caught here for future memory - the twos really do whiz by don't they? And then there has been the moments where this space could have really been used therapeutically - a growing closeness with my good friends who have truly become family, a death in my own family that I really need to work through and my confusion about what happens after life as a stay-at-home mother.

So here I am, dusting off my poor abandoned blog. Bear with me - this could be a little rough!

10 comments:

Denguy said...

Hi, how's it goin' eh?

That thing's like a baby computer!

SciFi Dad said...

this new place is SO dark! (also: hard to read)

However, welcome back, nonetheless.

crazymumma said...

Have i been nagging you too much?

we will be kind and gently and I like the new dark (of freakin' course I do.....).

Life after stay at home. Yeah. shit man am I ever struggling with that.

mamatulip said...

I'm positively giddy to see a post from you.

Seriously!!

Mac and Cheese said...

Been wondering about you. Glad you're still connected.

ourlittlefunnybunny said...

Welcome back!

No Mother Earth said...

It took me a second when I saw your name was bolded, and then I said YAHOO! Keep writing.

Don't think. Do. (Do I sound like Yoda?)

metro mama said...

Glad you're back!

petite gourmand said...

welcome back- it's good to take creative breaks from time to time.

Alison said...

Ha - we both know that's only because a half-decent local coffee shop only opened a couple of months ago;)

C'mon, continue to entertain me as I illicitly visit the interweb at work!

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness