Wednesday, April 1, 2009

In which I curse a great deal

I have a post that is 3/4 finished. A well-written, thoughtful post (if I do say so myself). That was before...

Before my goddamn, piece-o-shit computer blew it's FUCKING harddrive AGAIN!

Seriously folks, I'm not that hard on my computer. It doesn't travel (often). I've never dropped it, or banged it around. I'm not one of those that smashes on the keyboard. So why-oh-why do they keep crapping out on me?

Oh yes, for the second time in 15 months, my hard drive has unexpectedly up and quit. For those unacquainted, the first time was when I lost many important photos, including Peanut's first birthday. This time I'm much savvier, and with the use of Time Machine all of my photos and such are backed up and my huge iTunes library is safely stores on another external hard drive. (I must insert here, though, that the closed format of Time Machine frightens me somewhat. I can't actually get into the files without having a fixed Mac to "restore" the files.) However, the time I'm going to spend hauling myself to the Macstore to have the hard drive replaced, together with the cost of replacing the now out-of-warranty hard drive is really pissing me off.

So, is this just a case of super-shitty bad luck, or does Steve Jobs need a trip to the woodshed for the beat down of his life?

Just wondering is all...

9 comments:

flutter said...

jobs needs his ass beat.

SciFi Dad said...

You could always come to the dark side... many external hard drives come with a software package you install on the PC to configure "1 touch backup": basically, you configure the software with what folders you want to save, then whenever you think of it, press a button on the external drive and it backs up any new or changed files.

Alternatively, you could get on a regimen of backing stuff up to DVDs every so often, although long-term the optical media may present concerns.

I maintain that it's because you're using a mac.

slouching mom said...

might be time to go pc.

Alison said...

Just so you know, my IT guy has recently informed me that the new Dell laptops are capable of running the Mac OS (something to do with how everything is Intel-based now, or something) - so if you super-love OS X.5-or-whatever-the-heck-it-is-now, you can still have it, but with a computer that works! It's like, the best of both worlds, or something.

Lisa b said...

flutter stole my line...

mamatulip said...

UGH.

That blows.

Denguy said...

Okay, DON'T go pc.
Macs don't normally break down. You're probably electrically charged or something.

Also, I can fix most things computer (after warranty expiration) including drives.

(But, since the Intel switch, Macs have been flooding the repair shops, so I don't know what.)

MaryP said...

That stinks! Sort of like that horrible feeling you get when you turn the key in the ignition of your car, and nothing happens. Such a rage-filled helplessness...

Oh, and thanks for participating in the Book Binge. Have fun this month!

Aunt Becky said...

I swear, and I mean I SWEAR that electronics hate me. I'm sorry that I'm not the only one.

 

BLITHELY BABBLING © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness